Let’s face it, two words that aren’t typically synonymous are health and college. Despite previous lifestyle choices, when young people come to college, many become increasingly sedentary and eating habits often go down the toilet along with our daily exercise routines. I definitely think that moving into the dorms is HUGELY detrimental to our eating habits. All-you-can-eat food for every meal is tempting – no doubt about it. I, myself put on some weight when I came to college (thankfully not the dreaded “freshman 15”).
I realize I let my workout and eating habits slack for part of my college career, but got back on track and try to maintain a generally healthy lifestyle of exercise and eating healthy. In this two part series of posts, I will share my tips first for working out and second for eating healthy.
To be clear, I do not claim to be a fitness guru, nor do I claim to be the healthiest person in the world. But I have learned to maintain a relatively healthy lifestyle, and make eating healthy and exercising daily part of my daily routine.
Here are my tips for maintaining a steady workout routine while in college:
1. Make working out habit. If you ease your workouts into your daily routine, it will eventually become routine and it won’t feel right if you don’t go. That being said, you should still take one rest day per week.
2. Set reasonable and measurable goals. This is important. There are tons of websites out there for setting these goals (like Couch to 5K) and that ease you into your routine.
3. Avoid plateauing by continually adding reps to weights or upping the difficulty on interval cardio workouts.
4. Sleep! This is when your body renews itself. It can be very difficult in college to get enough sleep (approx 8 hours) every night, but it should be a priority!
5. Remember, Rome wasn’t built in a day. Your body will not change in a day. It takes time. You must persevere. It’s going to be hard, but it is definitely worth it. Lacking motivation? Check out Pinterest for new workout ideas and motivation. Also, TheBerry has weekly inspirational albums.
Truthfully, I’ve found that I never regret working out the next day, but I always regret it if I don’t go. So just go!
(Stay tuned for Part II, tips for eating healthy!)Follow along: